Conagra Brands has the most energized, highest-impact culture in food. Our people persistently challenge and disrupt marketplace/business conventions and we are respected for our great brands, great food, great margins and consistent results. Conagra Brands, be part of building something BIG.
The Director, Agriculture Services leads the agriculture operations team and is the main liaison with the Bird's Eye manufacturing team. Role optimizes safety, food safety, quality and cost of the incoming vegetables, with the main focus on peas, corn, green beans and carrots. The position reports to the VP, Manufacturing of Bird's Eye and leads the Ag Ops team.
- Responsible for managing the relationship with 3rd party contracted services for vegetables and inbound transportation to plants.
- Develops a fully integrated model that coordinates and synchronizes process from seed to pantry
- Varietal evaluation, selection performance evaluation (include manufacturability)
- Determine and set agricultural practices
- Conduct University research
- Identify and promote technology advancements (peeling, handling, etc.)
- Assess fully delivered costs
- Perform quality verifications
- Perform seed and crop management
- Assures regulatory compliance and monitor regulatory trends to help influence the establishment of new regulations
- Track global economics and understand how they influence domestic markets
- Track industry trends, market mechanisms, and CTGA short and long term strategies' implications to the plant and company
- Identify synergy opportunities (both internal and external)
- Establishes measures of success and KPIs
- Works with supply chain, manufacturing, brand and procurement to manage annual, weekly and daily volume
- Develops and implements strategies for continued supply including JVs and long term contracts
- Evaluates and executes vertical integration scenarios
- Assesses ingredient sourcing strategies, i.e. make v. buy and import v. export
- Directs agriculture operations in support of tomato buy
- Supervises and plans Farming Practices – Agronomy Programs
- Partners with other functions to evaluate crops, cropping programs, and crop yields
- Develops awareness of alternative crop cost models
- Conducts Market analysis of competitors and competing crops
- Responsible for ensuring flawless execution of the company's strategy for self-manufactured vegetables.
- A Bachelor's degree in Ag-based field, food science or business is preferred.
- 10 years agricultural experience in a combination of crop production, food processing and raw product negotiation.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, etc.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions.
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables.
- Intermediate personal computer skills including electronic mail, routine database activity, word processing, spreadsheet, graphics, etc.
- Ability to supervise/manage/direct the selection, training, development, appraisal and work assignments of personnel.
- Broad knowledge of food and beverage manufacturing operational capabilities, processes, and systems.
- Strong leadership, collaboration/peer relationship, influence, planning, business acumen, and problem solving skills.
- Project management expertise with necessary IT skills (MS Project, Excel, SAP, etc.) along with team building skills.
- Previous experience in product commercialization would be ideal.
- Supplier negotiations/direct interface and enterprise-wide information system experience (e.g. SAP, Oracle, etc.).
- Good knowledge of manufacturing processes in IQF vegetables.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk and hear. The employee frequently is required to stand and walk. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, and feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; taste and smell. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus. The employee will be exposed to a noisy environment that varies from hot to cold in temperature. The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Conagra Brands is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants for employment without regard to sex, race, color, religion, ethnic or national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, pregnancy, leave status, disability, veteran status, genetic information and/or any other characteristic or status protected by national, federal, state or local law.