We are looking for the best of the best. People with the burn to succeed. People with the highest level of integrity, professionalism, and desire to go beyond the status quo.
The Greenhouse Engineer (GE) is a new position at BrightFarms and it is an opportunity to lead an entire industry. In general, this position will lead the efforts pertaining to our design standards and develop our equipment specifications for our greenhouses. This includes owning and maintaining our greenhouse design basis criteria, developing and maintaining greenhouse and production equipment specifications, managing through the design and construction phases of multiple greenhouse projects, working with equipment manufacturers to develop and manufacture solutions that meet BrightFarms needs, and leading the continuous improvement program by working closely with operations to solve production problems. During construction of the facility, the engineer will support project management with RFIs, construction issues, and will lead the commissioning and startup effort. This position partners with cross-functional team members and senior leadership to identify and pursue improvements for the facilities meeting positive ROI, supports the group with development of best-in-class project management processes, and seeks out opportunities to help develop BrightFarms business.
- Manage greenhouse design basis documents, equipment specifications, and construction scopes of work including updating and expanding the documents as necessary. These efforts shall focus on safety, quality, cost, and sustainability.
- Participate on a team of internal and external professionals to provide technical expertise and support construction projects through design, construction, commissioning and turnover to operations.
- Expand and develop relationships with key equipment vendors, contractors and engineers to ensure a collaborative team atmosphere and common mission for the project. Provide support and technical documentation for RFP/RFB process, answer bidder questions, review bids, and manage warranty provisions where applicable.
- Support an efficient turnover of a quality plant to operations.
- Ensure that the technical and quality requirements for greenhouse construction projects are met.
- Seek innovative and cost effective improvements in design of our facilities.
- Explore alternatives and conduct feasibility analyses that increase the sustainability of our designs. This includes incorporating renewable energy solutions in our designs, finding opportunities to incorporate sustainable materials in our projects, and seeking opportunities to partner with other like minded companies that may have complementary technologies (biomass generators, waste steam, renewable energy companies, etc)
- Develop a team safety awareness culture on assigned projects from the design phase through construction and into operations.
- Assist with technical due diligence in conjunction with operational issues as requested.
- Facilitate effective feedback to internal and external resources to identify efficiencies and improvements in project quality, reliability, costs, schedule or other parameters that enhance Company’s strategic initiatives.
- Ensures all relevant internal controls are followed and recommend new controls as needed.
- Maintain a keen focus on identifying and recommending continuous improvement initiatives aimed at delivering projects more efficiently in terms of time, cost, quality, and safety. The goal is to develop a project execution platform that is best-in-class.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 5 + years’ experience in engineering and construction of commercial or industrial facilities.
- 3 + years’ experience in project management within construction, agriculture, energy, or related industries.
- Experience with Microsoft Office applications, Autocad, and scheduling software (MS Project, Primavera).
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills with strong focus on teamwork and interface with a broad range of work groups.
- Ability to analyze project risks and problem solve.
- Strong prioritization and multitasking skills with the ability to operate in a complex, rapidly changing business environment with typically tight schedules and demanding targets.
- Self-starter with the ability to manage multiple work streams efficiently.
- Positive collaborative team attitude
- Ability to take initiative and self-start projects
- Inquisitive mindset, ability to take calculated risks and be able/willing to recognize and react as necessary when tactics are not working
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable to changing business needs
- Fanatical focus on customer service to ensure internal/external partners receive above-and-beyond level of support
- Preference may be given to candidates with the following:
- Experience building or operating commercial scale greenhouses
- Understand/experience in agriculture industry as it relates to hydroponics and greenhouse growing operations
- Advanced degrees in engineering or business.
- Irvington, NY with moderate travel requirements (20-30%).
Key Values & Characteristics of Candidates:
- Authentically Green. Candidates must sincerely care about leading the movement to improve the environmental impact of the food supply chain. Candidates must be passionate about creating a healthier planet, environment and food supply. The background and experience of candidates should reflect a true passion for improving the way we feed Americans.
- Drive to Succeed. Candidates must have hunger and ambition and must get out of bed and want to perform strongly everyday, internally motivated. Candidates must demand excellence and strive to achieve greatness. Candidates should have a high clock speed and imbue energy in those around them.
- Humility & Integrity. Candidates must have personal humility and must want the organization to succeed (not focusing solely on personal success). Candidates must care about people and clients and be strong team players. Candidates must possess the highest degree of integrity and must project the proper image of BrightFarms.
- Productive. Colleagues and clients should be quick to describe candidates as famous for getting things done.