This key position will act as the second-in-command to the owner/manager for operations covering 11,000+ conventional and organic acres in the Salinas Valley, California. They will be responsible for the day-to-day management of their assigned growing area and for the other ranch groups.
About Our Company
We are the Salinas, CA arm of a group of family-owned companies that include thousands of people across California, Arizona, Colorado, and Mexico. Our team culture recognizes that our biggest asset is the people who work passionately to ensure our companies stay on track with our mission and future vision. We believe that a workstyle is equally as important as a lifestyle, and because of this, we highly prioritize philanthropy, health and social experiences for our team members.
The Salinas, CA division has grown rapidly, and we are hiring career-oriented people to expand our operations. This is a full-time, Salinas-based position, and includes a company sponsored health plan, 401k, and eligibility to participate in the annual bonus program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide leadership and management for assigned area growing operations.
- Promote a success-oriented work environment and with personnel accountability.
- Work with owner/manager and accounting team to develop crop budgets and manage crop input costs, and to continuously develop and implement plans for operational efficiency gains.
- Provide timely and accurate reporting of operational issues regarding personnel.
- Work with owner/manager to manage the utilization, acquisition, and repair and maintenance of equipment.
- Coordinate growing operations to meet or exceed customer or partner standards for quality, yield, and cost.
- Manage vendors to ensure that inputs are the latest technology.
- Be able to use technology such as smart phones and tablets.
- Understand, create, and coordinate SOPs, and KPIs
- Be innovative and have a desire to seek out and explore new technologies and tools to improve growing operations.
- Maintain accurate records of timing, inputs, irrigations, pest control and cultural operations to ensure optimum growth and quality of crops.
- Work with growing team to future plan for rotation, timing, and the best utilization of ranches & blocks for scheduling purposes.
- Be an advocate for the Company and professionally represent the company with customers and business partners as required.
- Coordinate with Food Safety Manager and be responsible for compliance with Food Safety standards. · Ensure compliance with organic growing regulations.
- Ensure compliance with all local, state, and federal regulations regarding personnel, chemical use, water.
- Other duties as assigned.
Essential Skills and Requirements
- A Bachelor’s degree in agriculture science, operations, business management, or related field is preferred.
- Continuing education in management, supervision, safety, or other job-related areas.
- Demonstrated leadership with a minimum of 5 years of experience in agricultural operations including hiring, training, developing, and mentoring direct reports.
- Bilingual English/Spanish.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office, Excel, Word.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle and be insurable.
- Excellent physical condition, particularly for extensive presence in fields.
- Personal attributes must include:
o High integrity, strong work ethic, and ability to work long hours as necessary including weekends.
o Flexibility to deal with multiple tasks simultaneously.
o Strong communicator one-on-one and in group settings.
o Excellent time management skills.