There are 7 billion people on this planet. And by 2050, there will be 2 billion more... many moving into urban centers at an unprecedented rate. Making sure there is enough food, fiber and infrastructure for our rapidly growing world is what we’re all about at John Deere. And it’s why we’re investing in our people and our technology like never before in our 175-year history. Here the world’s brightest minds are tackling the world’s biggest challenges. If you believe one person can make the world a better place, we’ll put you to work. RIGHT NOW.
Primary Location: United States (US) - Iowa (US-IA) - Urbandale
Function: Product Engineering
Title: Senior Software Developer - 60290
As a Senior Software Developer, for the John Deere Intelligent Solutions Group (ISG -Urbandale), you will join a team of passionate software developers in the development of precision agriculture software products. We operate in a collaborative, open environment focused on using Agile development techniques to autonomously deliver solutions quickly and effectively. In addition, you will:
- Develop and support high quality John Deere agronomic software solutions which may include web applications, mobile applications, or RESTful APIs
- Engage in all aspects of the software delivery cycle including the design, build, test, deploy, and support of software applications
- Serve as a team technical lead in support of software development for one or more teams
- Engage in Agile software development activities including team sprint planning, daily standups, and retrospectives
- Collaborate with Product Owners, Architects, and other supporting teams to define product requirements, system design, and delivery cadences
- Take a lead role in proposing application/system designs, communicating delivery estimates, and providing consistent hands-on guidance to ensure the delivery of high-quality products
- Support a culture of software craftsmanship best practices including Test Automation and Continuous Integration
- Interfacing regularly with customers to ensure technical solutions are meeting their needs
- Mentor and develop junior team members through code pairing or other technical skill coaching
VISA Sponsorship IS available for this position.
What Skills You Need
At this level, you should have professional experience as an outstanding lead developer applying solid development practices. Here's what that looks like:
- 4 or more years combined experience with Java, C#, React.js, or Node.js in building web-client or server-side applications/services
- 4 or more years of experience with Test Driven Development and/or Acceptance Test Driven Development
- 4 or more years of experience with Continuous Integration and/or Build Pipeline Automation
- 2 or more years of experience in a role providing technical leadership to one or more teams
- 2 or more years of experience with Agile software development practices
- 2 or more years of experience in designing and developing SQL/NoSQL DBMSs
- 2 or more years of experience in designing and developing RESTful web services
- 2 or more years of experience in the design, build, and test of Microservice architectures
- 2 or more years of experience with cloud computing platforms such as Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud
What Makes You Stand Out
Beyond just being generally awesome, other areas of experience or interest that will help us place you on the right team are listed below. In our experience, being a great developer isn't really tied to your current technology stack, so don't fret if these don't line up with your exact skillset.
- Expert skills with multiple programming languages/frameworks such as Java, Spring, Scala, C#, React.js, Node.js, or SQL/NoSQL
- Experience in maintaining and/or refactoring legacy code bases
- Experience with functional programming
- Experience with contributing to open source software projects
- Experience presenting technical information (written or verbal) in a professional community of practice setting
- Experience with Precision Ag technologies and their use
- Advanced degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, MIS, or other IT related discipline
Education (or equivalent work experience)
- Bachelor's degree in either Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Software Engineering, MIS, or other IT related discipline
What You'll Get
At John Deere, you are empowered to create a career that will take you to where you want to go. Here, you'll enjoy the freedom to explore new projects, the support to think outside the box and the advanced tools and technology that foster innovation and achievement. We offer comprehensive relocation and reward packages to help you get started on your new career path. Click here to find out more about our Total Rewards Package.
The information contained herein is not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities and qualifications required of individuals performing the job. The qualifications detailed in this job description are not considered the minimum requirements necessary to perform the job, but rather as guidelines.
John Deere is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, status as a protected veteran, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
Nearest Major Market: Des Moines
Job Segment: Agricultural, Agronomy, Developer, Engineer, Cloud, Agriculture, Technology, Engineering