Location: Salinas, CA
On behalf of leading and highly respected grower/shipper/packer with headquarters in Salinas, CA, we are seeking qualified and talented candidates to be considered for the position of Labor Relations Manager. In summary, this position will be responsible for employee and labor relations. These functions include responsibility for developing, interpreting and recommending program goals and objectives, policies and procedures, and courses of action. Responsible for managing the employee relations activities according to established guidelines and sound administrative practices and in accordance with the organization’s mission, values and goals. The work involves interpreting and administering employee grievances, wages, employee welfare, healthcare benefits, pension benefits and union practices. This position reports directly to the Vice President, Northern Operations. This is a full-time professional direct hire opportunity – eligible for full benefits package.
Responsibilities to include (but are not limited to) the following:
- Interpret and apply provisions of several union contracts and agreements. Ensures the company complies with the collective bargaining agreements.
- Participate in and advise management on negotiating collective bargaining agreements with the union including health insurance, assignment of duties, grievances, seniority, and enforcement of work, health and safety rules.
- Investigate problems such as working conditions, disciplinary actions, and employee and applicant appeals and grievances. Provides guidance and recommendations for problem resolution to departmental officials and individuals. Assure timeliness and accuracy of required filings.
- Answer any questions and/or requests by DOL, OSHA and other governmental agencies, including employee complaints. Represents the company at hearings.
- Stay current on recent federal, state and case law changes and monitor labor law updates and newsletters for changes that affect the company.
- Prepare and present required and special reports.
- Manage grievance procedures including oversight of dispute resolution involving employees, management, unions, government agencies, other firms, etc.
- Advise the Payroll/HR staff to ensure compliance with the union contract.
- Prepare paperwork related to labor relations assignments.
- Provide guidance to field supervision in the administration and enforcement of work, health and safety rules.
- Prepare and distribute all federal, state and other postings to all operations in the company and enforce retention and availability for all employees.
- Provide training and support to management to professionally conduct their duties in operating their respective departments, operations and crews.
- Interact, protect and represent the company and its interests with government agencies.
- Investigate any allegations of sexual harassment and take corrective action as necessary.
- Provide sexual harassment training to all management personnel including training on bullying and hostile work environment.
- Manage and review open claim files for compliance with claims handling guidelines to include initial claim handling, investigation, medical management and overall file management.
- Communicate with TPA, injured employees, physicians and attorneys.
- Participate in Settlement Negotiations, recommend and negotiate claim settlements.
- Analyze claims and loss control data to identify risk tendencies and prevention.
- Participate with Senior Management in analyzing insurance renewal proposal.
- Responsible for assisting departments in the determination of appropriate Modified Duty and early Return-to-Work program.
- Be available and accessible to injured employees to help provide information on claims.
- Ensure compliance to applicable laws and regulations while maintaining a high level of customer service.
- Maintain OSHA injury/illness records (300A, 300, 301).
- Collect and provide injury and illness data in response to BKS Injury and Illness mandatory collections processes.
- Conduct classroom training at different company job sites for foremen and supervisors regarding risk management.
- Participate in insurance carrier sponsored lost control meetings and committees.
- Develop and maintain documentation to ensure ongoing knowledge and transfer of knowledge of all business critical operations applications and processes.
- Develop long-term plans and programs for the department and individuals; evaluate work accomplishments.
- Review the progress of work in the department. Ensure that staff questions are answered, decisions acted upon and problems resolved. Ensure proper distribution of assignments and responsibilities.
- Recommend new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of department and services performed. Evaluate and revise internal processes and policies to reduce costs and increase efficiency.
- Provide customer service support to external customers and internal customers including foremen and supervisors.
- Monitor spending, purchasing and fiscal activity of the department.
Ideal candidate will be able to perform the above described role and will have the following skills, education and experience (a combination of same may be considered):
- BA/BS in Ag Econ, Ag Business Management, Business Administration, Human Resources
- Experience working in a union environment
- Minimum 5-7 years of proven management experience in labor relations, preferably in an agricultural environment (harvesting and field operations).
- Must be an effective hands-on manager capable of resolving organizational, training, communication, and interpersonal problems that may arise.
- Must possess solid knowledge on employee rights and employer responsibilities arising under federal and state laws, including the National Labor Relations Act, the California Agricultural Labor Relations Act, California and Arizona Wage and Hour Law, and any other laws that regulate or affect employers in Agricultural industry.
- Knowledge of Microsoft desktop products including strong knowledge and experience with Excel and Word
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to effectively present facts and recommendations in oral and written form
- Organized team player who works well with a variety of people with a minimum of supervision
- Thrive in a fast paced environment and handle pressure while managing multiple tasks
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to understand, evaluate and make judgment on proposals
- Ability to identify and resolve problems in a timely manner; to gather and analyze information skillfully
- Knowledge of company policies and procedures is preferred
- Regular and consistent attendance mandatory
- Work schedule may include OT and weekends
- Valid drivers license and clean record
- Seasonal overnight travel required to Yuma, AZ / Brawley, CA
- Good business practices.
- Sound techniques in all aspects of personnel management.
- General personnel regulations and procedures.
- Must possess a strong foundation of knowledge in areas such as economics, labor law, and the collective bargaining process.
- Familiarity with contract language all pertinent federal and state regulations including DOL, OSHA, FLSA,
- Operation of standard office equipment, including personal computers, photocopier, fax machines and appropriate software such as Windows, Word and Excel.
- Bilingual English/Spanish required.
- A working knowledge of the Workers’ Compensation system in California along with familiarity of required safety programs.
AGFORCE, a Proformance Talent Group company, is authorized to source, prequalify and introduce candidates to its client for the above-noted full-time position. Interested parties should submit resumes in MS Word or text format (not PDF, please) to firstname.lastname@example.org with position title listed in subject line. Please include anticipated compensation and/or salary history in body of e-mail. All inquiries are confidential and resumes will not be shared without candidate’s permission. We thank you in advance for your consideration.
Please note that only those candidates with qualifying skills will be contacted. If this opportunity sounds of interest but perhaps is not quite right for you, please go ahead and e-mail your resume confidentially or fax to 831.417.2796. We always have new openings and will keep your resume on file for any that might be a good match for you in the future.
AGFORCE does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, gender, religion, age, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, disability, marital status, veteran status, or any other occupationally irrelevant criteria. All candidates are afforded equal opportunity with respect to consideration, employment offers, compensation, benefits, training, transfer, and promotion without discriminanation.